The Milligans

The Milligans

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Kindergarten....er....First Grade!!!

After Davey was born we realized that we had a decision to make.  He turned five last year in late August, just a couple of days before the deadline to enroll in Kindergarten.  Dave and I decided to hold him back so he could be one of the oldest kids in his class rather than the youngest.  This year rolled around and he started Kindergarten a couple of days before he turned six.  About a month in, we realized that maybe holding him back hadn't been the best thing for him.  He was so ready to be reading and be challenged, and kindergarten wasn't moving fast enough for him.  He was getting super bored and thought a lot of the stuff they were doing in class was "dumb." So after discussing things with his teacher and principal, he decided he wanted to try first grade.


So he has been in first grade for about a month and a half now.  He loves the things he is learning and doesn't seem to mind being there all day.  I think he is making friends and hope that he is eating enough at lunch (he is SUCH as picky eater)!  I do miss having him around all day, as does Charlie.  I knew the day would come that he would be gone at school all day, I just wasn't prepared for it to come so soon.  I sure am proud of my smart boy though!

1 comment:

monika said...

Oh, how sad to make the big switch all at once! :( I BET you and Charlie miss him. I'm glad he's liking first grade though! What a cutie. :)